Friday, October 15, 2010

Say Yes to Sugar, Sanity, Fun and Fear

It's getting chilly, things are getting creepy, and people are selling Christmas decorations. It must be Halloween! There are so many awesome things to do this month I don't know where to start, so I think I'll start with TONIGHT!

Asafapalooza is tonight and tomorrow night at Dougherty Arts Center, in my sweet 'hood of 78704. Asaf is one of my favorite always smiling super sweet amazingly brilliant funny people on the planet. ASAFAPALOOZA! is his two-day jam packed party to celebrate the 20 years of improv under his belt. If you can only make one show: Baxter & Bernard. Bring your tissues from tears of laughter.

After your laughter rush dissolves, get it going again with a FREE sugar rush from Sugar Mama's, again in the 78704. Man, my 'hood knows how to BRING IT. Anyway, if you haven't been to Sugar Mama's yet, I feel sorry for you. They are the best cupcake joint I've found in Austin, and believe me, I get around. So, get your fill this Sunday from 2-5 and enjoy cupcakes, TITO'S, champagne, beer, prizes, live music, and of course cupcakes, all for free! If you feel like bringin' them a birthday present, you'll be able to donate to Austin Pets Alive!

Austin Variety Show is a jam-packed variety show full of comedy, live music, burlesque, contests and you! Saturday, October 23rd, they will be taping an episode called "Helloween". Tickets are only $10, and you get $2 off with a costume. Doors and free food & drink start at 8pm and the spookiness begins at 9pm!

The 24th will be the calm before the Halloween storm. Stop by the Grand Reopening of Arthouse at the Jones Center to check out, well, the grand reopening! I've been watching them destruct and reconstruct this place for months now, and it looks smashing. Stroll around and enjoy free workshops, live music, the sweetest rooftop deck, and more! From 12pm-8pm.

When you're ready for crazy, it'll be there waiting for you. I hope you've all heard about the Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive hosted by Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert in Washington, DC on October 30th. Well, if you haven't, I'll be sure to report back, BECAUSE I'M GOING! But more importantly, there are satellite rallies here so that you can be involved in the fun too. There will be an Austin Satellite Rally to Restore Sanity from 11am-2pm on the Capitol steps. If you're more for fear, there will be an Austin Satellite Rally to Keep Fear Alive! It will start at Zilker Park at 9am with all kinds of stuff to prepare you for the march to the Capitol, like costume contests, dance parties, sign-making, and chant practicing. So dress up and instill fear in visitors and locals alike, and I'll keep it weird in DC!

No comments:

Post a Comment