Friday, July 22, 2011

Let me see you Say Yes

Is this real life? YESSSS, and it's been overwhelming. Sorry to leave you guys hanging for the past month, but hopefully you've been out and about exploring anyway. My extracurricular activities are winding down, and I'm excited to figure out what to do next and catch up on what I've been missing!

Since I spend eight days a week in an office (which is nothing like The Office, dammit!), I crave sunshine and sweat, and I've been exploring outdoor avenues of adventure. I've lived here for three years and have never ventured on to Town Lake, except for that one drunken swim.....so I've been itching to try it officially. I've heard that Stand Up Paddling, or SUP (the boss acronym for it), is all the rage. So this morning, I hit the lake with a new friend to try it out. We went to The Rowing Dock on Town Lake, paid $15, and got on the water! It was fun, refreshing, and a good workout. We went at about 9:30, which I would recommend because it was hot enough to work up a sweat, but not hot enough to go crazy. Bring cash or check and your ID, and kids 13-16 are allowed with a parent. You can also take rowing lessons, rent a paddle boat, let your kids enjoy the summer camp, or check out their awesome events! SUCH AS: SUP to Blues on the Green, where you SUP to the Barton Springs inlet and enjoy the music on the water. You can also moonlight paddle, or paddle to the bats in a 4-mile round trip kayak adventure. Check out their calender of events here. I'm most excited about trying Paddle Yoga and Paddle Pilates through Paddle Zen. These people are geniuses. Hit me up if you want to join me! LET'S TAKE THE SUMMER BY STORM!

What else is going on outdoors? Our friends at Zilker Hillside Theater are doing it again with a production of Footloose. It's free and kid-friendly, so turn off the TV and watch some live theater while the sun sets. Running until August 13th, starting each night around 8:30pm, but get there early for a prime spot.

This next event I'm giddy to tell you about about is not outdoors but definitely a form of alternative entertainment. It's called The Blind Cafe and it is an amazing concept out of Switzerland that combines music, vegan/vegetarian food, and community during two hours of complete darkness. Tickets are $35 with a student discount (ID required), $45 without, but a sliding scale is available, with some of the funds being donated to the blind community. It will happen at St. Martin's Lutheran Church, August 18th, 19th, and 20th at 6:30pm. I'm so excited to support an event that helps us reconnect with ourselves and each other, instead of depending on cell phones and computer screens or our own pre-conceived thoughts. I really hope more ideas and events like this continue to happen.

Another happenin' that is offering us the chance to become more comfortable with ourselves and others, is Live Nude Improv at The Hideout Theatre. The show runs Saturdays at 8pm in July and August. I recommend you get tickets early as the shows are selling out quite fast. I'll be back with a review as soon as I see it!

Bringing both the idea of improv and darkness together, Victrola - fully improvised comedic tales of humorousness performed completely and utterly in the dark! Brought to you by Coldtowne Theater Thursdays at 8:30pm. Afraid of the dark? Listen to past shows online!

I'm still a photographer! I would like to invite you all to join me for the giant tailgate opening party for my latest show, Texas High School Football: More Than The Game. August 5th at The Bob Bullock Museum. I'll be back with an update on the exact time. If you can't make it, the exhibition will be open starting July 30th until January 22nd. If you want my autograph, just let me know, ha!

There's also another exhibition to check out on the east side in this sweet little spot called Flatbed Press. It's called Water in Time and is brought to you by Bill Kennedy, the driving force behind the Texas High School exhibition for us student photographers. He's one of the only professors who has ever taught me something, and takes a genuine interest in his students. Needless to say, he pays the same attention to his work and has been taking pictures since the film age! I hope I get extra credit for this! On view until August 31st.



Now that you're feeling artsy, you can also check out the closing reception party for Austin Art Garage artist Jake Bryer this Wednesday at J. Black's Feel Good Lounge. 6-8pm, with drink specials, art giveaways, and unique artsy gifts for your weird uncles.

Austin isn't Austin without live music, and my favorite honky tonk band, Armadillo Road is blowing up on The Chronicle's Sound Wars. Vote for these bad boys and check out one of their live shows at C. Hunts Ice House on Sundays. Tell them Say Yes sent you.

Austin isn't Austin without a little crazy, and that crazy explicit guy Mickey Avalon will be playing Emo's this month on the 31st at 9pm. If you want to keep Austin weird, know that Weird Al will be showing up on September 24th to the Moody Theater. I can dig it. I'm also all OMG about Dntel who are going to playing at Emo's for ON THE CHEAP. Like, ten dollars! August 23rd at 9pm. They make me swoon!

Ok, so you've got your filling of outdoor adventures, live music, theater, and art. What else do you want from me? Go do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment