Friday, November 18, 2011

Acupuncture? I barely know her!

So, I checked out South Austin Community Acupuncture for a lot of symptoms, but specifically head crushing migraines. I walked in and Wally was at the desk, being Austiny and weird in his "I Sleep With Strangers at South Austin Community Acupuncture" shirt.

He went over my paperwork and asked me some questions about what I was coming in for. I hadn't been nervous about getting acupuncture until a co-worker had some done and said it was painful a couple times during the session. I realized it was kinda silly, since I have tattoos. But, Wally was assuring and caring about the state of my mind and body. I went back into the room, which is set up community style with lots of recliners and lamps. There was another lady in the room, and Wally went to set her up with some needles first. He asks her "How is your tongue?" and I thought, "Oh snap, this lady has something going on with her tongue." I watched Wally stick needles in her leg and forehead and arm and started getting even more nervous. I realized I hadn't done any research on how it works or what it's supposed to do. How is sticking little needles in my leg going to help anything? What am I doing here??

Wally came over and asked if I was ready, opened a new pack of needles and asked how my tongue was. Ha. He started putting needles in my skin and I didn't feel anything. As soon as he was done and walked away, I felt so relaxed, like all the stress was running out of my body. I was smiling at at the feeling and how quickly it came. I closed my eyes and just enjoyed the feeling of relaxing. You can tell them when you need to go, in case you fall asleep, and they will make sure you're done and ready to leave on time. After about thirty or forty minutes, he came to remove the needles and wipe the spots down in case of any blood, but again, it wasn't painful. I met him at the desk and he said "I'm going to put a few things in your ear..." and I thought he was going to tell me some things to keep in mind. But he actually put things in my ears. They are little tiny Band-aid looking things, with a tiny metal ball inside. You can press on them for 10-20 seconds to keep the acupuncture benefits flowing, and to help with sleep. I took them off the next morning.

So, I went over a week ago and I've only had one tiny headache. So, yes, definitely go check them out. It's on the cheap, they have great hours, and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable. I can't wait to go back!


No comments:

Post a Comment