Thursday, October 3, 2013

Tragedy: A Tragedy

"We put language where loneliness is."


Tragedy: a tragedy by Will Eno is currently finishing up it's run at Hyde Park Theatre. I had the pleasure of seeing this play last week, and as is true with everything I see at Hyde Park, it has stuck with me. In Tragedy, the sun has decided not to rise, and a team of four news anchors does their best to report what little information they have on the situation. While the cast does have a tragedy on their hands, the play is far from tragic. It is touching at times, as the characters recall moments from childhood or how they imagine their co-anchor spends his nights. It is clever and comical, and will keep you laughing for most of your theater experience. And like I mentioned, it might just stick with you. As I went to sleep that night, I found myself in a dream where the sun did not rise in the morning, and spent my time questioning how I would get through it. When I awoke, I spent more time reflecting on the play, recalling my favorite lines.

"I am reminded of a favorite uncle. He gave me a dictionary. Which I mistook as the long, sad, confusing story of everything."

If you haven't heard, Ken Webster has recently taken the title of Best Theatre Director in the recent Austin Chronicle Best of Austin Poll as well as being the only person to receive a B. Iden Payne award for directing over three decades. Tragedy: a tragedy (or anything else that plays at the little theater) is a great date night option, or even a good pick me up if you're rolling solo. Honestly, I usually go alone because I find myself needing space to reflect on the imagery and emotions that the play brings up for me.

The show runs at 8:00 PM on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays until October 12th. Tickets are $20 this weekend, but will be $22 for the final weekend. Discounts are available! You can purchase tickets online or by calling 479-PLAY (7529). Follow Hyde Park Theatre on Facebook & Twitter to stay up to date on the upcoming season.


No comments:

Post a Comment